Growing up beside the Mourne Mountains, Brona’s interest in the natural world developed from childhood. As a teenager she would collect wild-flower specimens from the waysides, identify them and explore their historical use as herbal remedies. She read Biological Sciences at St Hildas College Oxford and went on to work as a teacher in London and later in science publishing. She has worked as a science writer and editor for the past fifteen years. This has given her a broad experience across molecular biological research themes. She later developed a series of digital platforms geared towards the public understanding of science, and has co-curated and managed several exhibitions.
- Creative Director, Company of Corkbots (2014-)
- Head, Public Engagement, Media and Grants, MRC Clinical Sciences Centre (2010-2014)
- Science Editor and Project Manager, EU Epigenome Network of Excellence (2005-2010)
- Assistant Editor, Novartis Foundation (2002-2005)
- In-House Editor, Current Science Group (2001)
- Biology Tutor, Collingham Sixth Form College (1999-2001)
Qualifications: MA Oxon, Biological Sciences 2:1 (1999) St Hilda’s College, Oxford